As a dynamic non-profit international network of professional women, the Global Professional Women’s Network uses the mentoring program as a tool to promote the professional progress of women in each phase of their career and helps them follow professional career paths.
WHAT EXACTLY IS “MENTORING”?
Mentoring activity is a developmental partnership in which a person with relevant knowledge and experience (a mentor) shares knowledge and skills in order to support other people (a mentee) in their personal and professional development.
WHY BE INVOLVED?
From an individual perspective, mentoring programs facilitate learning and mutual supporting relationships between the mentor and the mentee. The former contributes to the success of the latter by sharing lessons learned in the past and by providing insight into today’s business reality. In exchange, the mentor improves his communication skills and acquires professional recognition through the selection system. Essentially, the mentor provides professional potential development support, as well as access to professional networks which offer further opportunities. The mentee benefits of guidance in establishing and achieving professional goals. Therefore, he gains greater self-confidence and motivation.
WHAT ARE THE OTHER BENEFITS ?
Beyond the individual level, the mentoring program is beneficial also for organizations as it extends business networks and enhances business opportunities. It also improves strategic thinking in HR management (selection of high-potential employees, professional and personal development, more in-depth understanding of the organization).
WHO MANAGES THE PROGRAM?
The mentoring program is developed and implemented by the Mentoring Committee (Mentoring Angels):
Chairman: Magda Niculescu, Vice-President Mentoring of PWN Global – Romanian Division
Members: Andreea Stoica, Madalina Radulescu, Paula Buse, Petra Muller-Demary and Rodica Gheorghita.
The mentoring program consists of four steps:
- Registration in the program by filling the application forms – Mentee profile or Mentor profile – where the mentor and the mentee describe their profile and the match they are looking for. All profiles will pass among applicants for a first orientation in choosing their match.
- Program launch – within a special Launch event in October, mentors and mentees will gather together for the first time.
- the mentors will introduce themselves and the mentees will finalize their mentor choice (three choices, in order of preferences);
- the Mentoring Angels will describe the process and will inform participants about basic skills and best practices;
- the latecomers will have their last chance to join on the spot.
- Mentoring sessions will be held between mentors and mentees either face-to-face or by remote, during November 2014 – June 2015.
- Program Evaluation and Closing Celebration Event will take place in June 2015 and will sum up the program’s results.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The Mentoring Program involves a 6 sessions’ commitment over a period of six months, either face-to-face or online. The duration, the structure and the content of these sessions is set by the two participants, Mentor and Mentee. Relevant best practice information, mid-course status summary and overall evaluation report will reflect the program’s achievements.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
The Mentoring Angels will pair Mentors and Mentees by using the steps described above. The Mentoring Angels remain at the disposal of every interested person and provide Mentors and Mentees with required information. They also answer questions and make suggestions regarding further improvement.